FAFSA Quick Guide
1. Complete the FAFSA. (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) This can be done using the paper version or online version.
2. If you choose the online version, you will need to obtain a Federal Student Aid PIN to electronically sign the form. Both parent and student will need a PIN.
3. Once you have applied you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) either electronically or via the mail. Review it thoroughly and correct any errors.
4. Mrs. Tycer will automatically submit final grades to the TOPS office after graduation.
5. ACT will report scores directly to the TOPS office. (For faster processing, you may want to include the TOPS code (1595) on the ACT registration)
6. SAT will NOT report scores directly to the TOPS office. You will need to put the TOPS code (9019) on the registration.
7. The Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance will contact you during the summer via the mail regarding whether or not your student is eligible to receive TOPS.
The deadline to file for TOPS is July 1st.
Please note: The FAFSA form is used for federal aid and TOPS. TOPS is awarded based on a 2.5 GPA on the TOPS core curriculum and a 20 on the ACT. It is not awarded based on financial need, but you will still need to complete the FAFSA to qualify for the TOPS award.